To rent a car, it is not enough to have a license and know how to drive. There are other main factors you must consider to have a satisfying and safe experience.
For example, the guarantee deposit amount and the mandatory policy coverage, as well as others simpler, but always important aspects, like if you can authorize another driver or travel with children or pets.
In today's article, we will give you some tips for car rental in Costa Rica.
Look for a responsible company
In Costa Rica, there are many recognized car rental companies (transnational and local) with excellent and competitive services. Toyota Rent a Car, for instance, has more than 50 years of experience, providing high-quality services, focused on environmental and social responsibility. For more information, visit: https://toyotarent.com/
Book in time
Don’t wait until the last minute and ensure that the vehicle meets your tastes and needs. Otherwise, you may find expensive prices due to oversupply, or the available cars are not what you are looking for. Book well in advance and reconfirm through a call or email.
Review insurance terms
By law, car rental must include minimum coverage insurance. If you want to be more protected against other major circumstances, you can ask for additional insurance that covers theft, accidental damage, or other unforeseen situations. Review the contract's fine print and remember you should always leave a credit card guarantee deposit, until the moment you return the vehicle.
Inspect the vehicle
Before getting into the vehicle, inspect it carefully and take photos if it shows any damage. Dents and scratches can be a cause of dispute; therefore, it's better to have the evidence on hand. Do it when receiving and returning the car. Considered that you will be responsible for any not previously registered imperfection, detected at the return time.
Are you going to need something extra?
Think of possible services or accessories that you may require and that usually represent extra fees. Among the most typical are a child seat (buster), the return of the car in a different center than the delivery, portable Wi-Fi, etc. If you are going to need something special, communicate it a couple of days before.
Respect for the law and papers in order
Costa Rican traffic laws are strict, so the use of child seats (in case you have kids as passengers) and the use of seat belts is mandatory, as well as carrying a valid passport and driver's license. If you are going to stay in Costa Rica for less than 90 days, it is not necessary to have an international driver's license. What you will rather need is a GPS to avoid confusion with traffic signs and geographical indications
Toyota Rent a Car requirements
Below are the requirements and conditions that you must keep in mind if you are contracting the services of Toyota Rent a Car.
• Have a minimum age of 21 years.
• Carry a national or foreign driver's license (digital driver's license is not accepted).
• Up-to-date identity card or passport.
• A credit card to make the security deposit (this goes from $1,000 to $5,000, depending on the type of coverage and vehicle selected).
• All rental cars must include basic insurance, made up of the SLI or liability coverage for damages to third parties and the CDW (collision damage).
• For more complete coverage, we have the silver and platinum packages. (no additional or hidden charges included).
• The minimum period for renting a vehicle is 24 hours and a maximum of 30 days.
During and after the rental:
• You will be responsible of the car during the total time of the rental. You must take responsibility for any damage or harm, according to the conditions established in the contract.
• The person who signed the rental agreement is responsible for any traffic violation and must pay it at banks or authorized offices.
• Only the person signing the contract will be authorized to drive the vehicle. In case of requiring an additional driver, please let us know, so we can include it on the contract and give him/her the corresponding insurance protection.
• For an additional cost, the vehicle can be returned to a different office than the delivery one.
For more information on the requirements and conditions concerning the best rental car deals, you can visit the frequently asked questions section on our page: https://toyotarent.com/content/faq/.
If you still have questions or need further details about rental cars in Costa Rica, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 4036-7422 / 7235-8722.
Article written by:
José Ricardo Carballo Villalobos
Works as a journalist, blogger, writer, and freelance copywriter. He is a frequent press columnist, co-director of the digital media La Revista CR, and administrator of the current affairs blog: analistahoy.com. For more information about the author, visit his website or Facebook.
USA & CANADÁ (Toll Free) 833-888-TRAC (8722)
© 2020 Toyota Rent a Car Costa Rica. All rights reserved.