Home to 4% of the world's total biodiversity, one of the tourists’ favorite ecotourism destinations, famous for its high-quality cheese production and a mountain spot with all kinds of city comforts.
We are barely beginning this article, and we had already mentioned four of the main things you should know about the place we are going to visit today in this blog post.
That’s one of the bad –or good - things of writing about one of the most emblematic and world-renowned destinations in Costa Rica: Monteverde.
Its benefits and attractions are such wide and diverse as the 10,500-hectare cloud forest it houses.
So, where do we start the list of the main things you should know about Monteverde?
Firstly, we have to recognize that is a question with multiple answers. But today we are going to face the extreme adventure of choosing 10 of the most important regarding this exotic place in Puntarenas mountains.
Here we go!
1. Monteverde is one of the favorite destinations among world travelers. A large nature conservation area located at the top of the Tilarán mountain range, between the limits of the provinces of Puntarenas, Guanacaste, and Alajuela in Costa Rica. It´s made up of the towns of Santa Elena, Cerro Plano, Monteverde, and San Gerardo.
2. Santa Elena stands out for being the most populated area. It has the highest concentration of businesses, including banks, supermarkets, souvenir shops, school, municipality, restaurants, and hotels.
3. It offers all types of hosting services: luxurious and small boutique hotels, large complexes with all the necessary amenities and small economic hostels with shared bathrooms.
4. Monteverde was founded in the 1950s by a group of American Quaker families who came to Costa Rica, escaping from the military recruitment to fight in the Korean and Vietnam wars, as well as the consequences of their decision.
5. Its climate is pleasant throughout the year, between the dry season from November to April and the rainy season from May to October. The temperature ranges between 16 ºC and 28 ºC (62 ºF and 82 ºF). Sunny mornings and rainy afternoons are frequent.
6. Due to its climatic conditions, try to wear comfortable clothing and a waterproof coat or jacket, hiking boots, extra cloth, and repellent.
7. Special for cloud forest hiking, bird watching (quetzal, bellbird, hummingbirds…), night walks, adventure parks, coffee plantations visits, wildlife sightings, large butterfly gardens, insectariums, and frog ponds, among many other tours.
8. If you want to enjoy a high above view of the exuberant nature, you must visit the suspension bridge of the Monteverde Reserve. We also recommend the Santa Elena Reserve, the Curicancha, the Children's Eternal Forest, or the Monteverde Ecological Sanctuary.
9. Other options that offer impressive landscapes and even horseback riding are Valle Escondido Preserve, the Monteverde Wildlife Refuge, Nasua Tours Monteverde, Santamaria's Night Walk, Cerro Amigos, and the Gulf of Nicoya.
10. Besides being recognized for the quality of its cheeses, Monteverde has a wide and delicious gastronomic offer. From cocktails and local cuisine to vegetarian, exotic, or organic food. It all depends on your tastes and preferred atmosphere (formal or informal).
Although the main access road (route 606) is paved, there are still unpaved secondary routes, whose transit is easier in a 4x4 vehicle. If you don't know where to get one, you've come to the right place. At Toyota Rent a Car we have a select sample of rental vehicles to travel, safe, comfortable, and without delays, to Monteverde. It can be a Rav4, Hilux, Fortuner or Prado. If you don't know which one to choose, or you need further information, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or our phones (4036-7422 / 7235-8722). We will be happy to help you take the perfect rental car for your next mountain adventure in Monteverde. You will not regret it!
Article written by:
José Ricardo Carballo Villalobos
Works as a journalist, blogger, writer, and freelance copywriter. He is a frequent press columnist, co-director of the digital media La Revista CR, and administrator of the current affairs blog: analistahoy.com. For more information about the author, visit his website or Facebook.
USA & CANADÁ (Toll Free) 833-888-TRAC (8722)
© 2020 Toyota Rent a Car Costa Rica. All rights reserved.